Marriage is a funny thing. The decision to potentially commit your entire life to another person is a really big one, but given the right circumstances, can also be one of the easiest and most beneficial decisions you can make. Weird, right?
Those of us who are married know what a paradox marriage can be. Marriage allows you to spend every day with a person who is the love of your life, while sometimes simultaneously wanting to kill them. The comic Jack Benny once said, “My wife Mary and I have been married for forty-seven years and not once have we had an argument serious enough to consider divorce; murder, yes, but divorce, never.” We think that sums it up perfectly!
Joking aside, there is something beautiful about finding someone you love enough to walk through life together. Marriage is about having a partner in making decisions, an encourager and supporter when things get hard, and a friend to celebrate with when things go well. At the core, your partner should be someone you just like spending time with!
We (Paul and Ashley) have been married for a while and, while we don’t claim to be experts, we’ve found a few things that are important to keeping our marriage strong! Having common interests that we enjoy doing together (like running things here at The Type Set Co.!), communicating about things before they become large conflicts, and finding something to laugh about together every day are nonnegotiable for us!
Whether it's wedding bells on the horizon or the celebration of many years of love, I think we can all agree that relationships can be hard, but they are also so worth it!
We’ve rounded up ten letter board quotes that any married couple can surely relate to.
- The goal in marriage isn't to think alike, it's to think together.
- Happy wife, happy life
- Make your marriage more awesome than your wedding.
- Marry the one who gives you the same feeling you get when you see your food coming at a restaurant.
- Together is a beautiful place to be.
- Marriage gives you the right to annoy one special person for the rest of your life.
- And do you solemnly swear to protect me from spiders as long as we both shall live?
- My spouse thinks I’m crazy but I'm not the one who married me.
- If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your wife told you to in the first place.
- If you enjoy searching for someone else's lost stuff, then marriage is for you!