Some may say you need to become stronger than your excuses. But we say sometimes excuses are necessary! You know the saying “If it’s important, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse”? We couldn’t agree more! Not feeling the plans you made for this weekend? Or perhaps you needed to prioritize yourself and were a little late for work this morning? Maybe, just maybe, you bit off more than you could chew and may not quite make a deadline. Sometimes, something on your to-do list just can’t take priority and a good excuse is what you need!
Here’s a good rule of thumb for whether you should give an excuse or an explanation and bail on your original plan: Are you doing the best and healthiest thing for yourself? If the answer is yes, cancel those plans! Drop that project! Be a little late! Honor your mental and physical health! If not, stick to your commitments and follow through on the things you said you’d do!
And, while making excuses isn’t appropriate in every situation (sometimes the most important thing is to take responsibility!), some excuses just provide a good reason to laugh!
Looking to get out of something in the future? We’re dishing up 10 of the best excuses we could come up with, perfect for ducking out of plans or just displaying on your letter board so you can laugh every time you see it!
- Sorry I’m late, I didn't want to come.
- Sorry I had to cancel last minute but it took me forever to come up with an excuse I haven't used before.
- Excuse the mess, I didn't feel like cleaning it.
- Sorry I didn't respond to that email, I was out living my best life.
- I will be a little late because of who I am as a person. Thanks for understanding.
- I wish I could give you my homework but my family got a new paper shredder and I had to see if it was working properly.
- In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
- I can't come into work today because I don't have the patience.
- I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hangry.
- I’ll never stop eating ice cream because I'm not a quitter.