“Yay! Housework!” said no one ever.
We’re guessing we can all agree that lots of things are more fun than doing housework and chores.
In fact, housework can feel like a never ending cycle of tasks that we’d rather avoid. As soon as the dishes are done and the kitchen is clean, another meal needs to be made and eaten. As soon as one load of laundry is washed, folded, and put away, there’s another to be done. The living room is picked up! Oh no, wait… someone decided to dump a bin of toys… and throw their shoes on the floor… and leave their water glass on the coffee table.
But, as discouraging as the process of cleaning and housework can be, we sure are in love with the results. Maybe no one wants to clean, but everyone wants things to be clean! And the only way to get it done is to roll up your sleeves and do it! Are you with us?
We’ve found that the key to an uncluttered house (and also an uncluttered mind) is to first make choices that make housework as manageable as possible. Minimize your things! Create systems and habits! Adjust your mindset where necessary!
And then, make the remaining necessary tasks as fun as possible! Listen to music and dance while you vacuum and mop. Watch a movie and fold laundry. If you’re competitive, time your tasks and race yourself!
Here are some of our favorite quotes about housework (both tasks completed and tasks avoided) to spruce up your letter board. Cheers to motivation, but also to letting go!
- Housework is something you do that nobody notices until you don’t do it.
- I have so much housework to do. What movie should I watch?
- I think I have the urge to get up and clean the house. Wait… no. False alarm.
- Nothing inspires cleanliness more than an unexpected guest.
- When your environment is clean, you can feel happy, healthy, and motivated.
- “The objective of cleaning is not just to clean but to feel happiness living within that environment.” - Marie Kondo
- Clean your space, clear your mind.
- Currently avoiding housework.
- No matter how many house chores you complete, there are always more to be done.
- A clean house is a sign of a boring person.
- If your house is really a mess and a stranger comes to the door, greet him with “Who could have done this? We have no enemies!” - Phyllis Diller
- Housekeeping is like being caught in a revolving door.
- More important than a clean house is a close family.
- My housekeeping style is best described as “there appears to have been a struggle.”
- Clean up, clean up, everybody, everywhere.
Got cleaning on the brain? Check out our blog post: 16 Spring Cleaning Quotes!