It’s time to hoist the mainsail and head for the open sea!
As the weather gets warmer and the days start to feel like Summer, we start itching to get out on the water. We love all kinds of water activities, but feeling the wind in our hair from a sailboat has to be one of our favorites.
Fun fact: We own a 1978 Catalina 22, aptly named “For Sail”
Even if you’re not a sailor, you probably know that sailing comes with its own terminology. You’ve likely heard some of the more common sailing phrases, but here are a few directional terms to use so that you can sound like a seasoned pro.
- Aft or stern: the back of the sailboat
- Bow: the front of the sailboat
- Port: the left hand side of the sailboat when you’re facing the bow.
- Starboard: the right hand side of the sailboat when you’re facing the bow.
When you’re sailing on open waters, using the terms “left” and “right” can become confusing, so port and starboard are always defined in relation to the bow. Makes sense, right?
We love that sailing always feels like a new adventure. Every time we’re in a boat, the water is different, there is somewhere new to explore, and there is always more to learn. As we sail out onto the open water, we feel like we’re headed into the unknown.
If you also love adventure, exploration, and being on the open water as much as we do, here are some sailing quotes that are perfect for your letter board!
- The goal is not to sail the boat, but rather to help the boat sail herself.
- Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.
- It is the set of the sails, not the direction of the wind that determines which way we will go.
- A smooth sea never made for a skilled sailor.
- Come sail away with me.
- Sail on.
- “A man is never lost at sea.” - Ernest Hemingway
- Sail boats will get you schooner or later.
- Freedom, open air, and adventure are found on the sea.
- Seas the day!
- “I cannot not sail.” - E.B. White
- Land was created so boats would have a place to visit.
- Sailboat: a whole in the surface of the water into which money is thrown.
- No landlubbers allowed.
- A sailor is an artist whose medium is the wind.
- Home is where the anchor drops.
- Sorry for what I said when I was docking the boat.
- Sometimes I wonder if my sailboat is thinking about me too.
- Things I do in my spare time: go sailing, look at sailboats, think about sailboats, talk about sailboats, dream about sailboats.
- Wild and free just like the sea
- “We can’t direct the wind but we can adjust the sails” - Thomas S. Monson
Since we love to dream about sailing even when we’re not out on the water, we love the idea of decorating with these sailboat prints! We also think these sailboat blueprints are perfect for someone who loves the technical ins and outs of sailing.
Paul is a little partial to our Orange Cream Letters, but we think Soft Magnetic Letters in blue tones would be perfect for displaying your favorite sailing quotes and thinking about the water! Try Dark Night, Blue Yonder, or Faded Denim!